Facts About Peru
- Country Telephone Code: 51
- Country Capital: Lima
- National Currency: Nuevo Sol
- Independence Day: July 28, 1821
- Tourism Web Site: Visit Peru
- Lattitude & Longitude: 10°00′S 76°00′W
- Land Boundaries: 4,636 miles (7,461 km)
- Bolivia: 668 miles (1,075 km)
- Brazil: 1,861 miles (2,995 km)
- Chile: 106 miles (171 km)
- Colombia: 1,118 miles (1,800 km)
- Ecuador: 882 miles (1,420 km)
- Coastline: 1,500 miles (2,414 km)
- Total Area: 496,224.5 sq miles (1,285,215.6 sq km)
- Land: 494, 208 sq miles (1,279,999 sq km)
- Water: 2,015 sq miles (5,220 sq km)
- Highest Elevation: Huascarán Sur - 22,295 ft. (6,768 m)
- Lowest Elevation: Bayóvar Depression -112 ft. ( -34 m)
- Political Map: Peru is comprised of 25 regions (capitals): Amazonas (Chachapoyas), Ancash (Huaraz), Apurímac (Abancay), Arequipa (Arequipa), Ayacucho (Ayacucho), Cajamarca (Cajamarca), Callao (Callao), Cuzco (Cuzco), Huancavelica (Huancavelica), Huánuco (Huánuco), Ica (Ica), Junín (Huancayo), La Libertad (Trujillo), Lambayeque (Chiclayo), Lima (Huacho), Loreto (Iquitos), Madre de Dios (Puerto Maldonado), Moquegua (Moqueque), Pasco (Cerro de Pasco), Piura (Piura), Puno (Puno), San Martín (Moyobamba), Tacna (Tacna), Tumbes (Tumbes) and Ucayali (Pacallpa). These regions are divided into 196 provinces.
Nestled within the Lima region, along its western edge, is the province of Lima, which is independent and not belonging to any of the above mentioned regions. Its capital is the city of Lima, which also serves as the nation's capital.
The Callao region is Peru's smallest region, and it resides west of the province of Lima, along the coast. Place your mouse to the left of Lima province and you should see Callao region.